[Ontbirds] Great Blue Heron catching Dragonflies

Bob Ross bob.ross3 at sympatico.ca
Sun Jun 28 20:43:16 EDT 2009

On June 25 I was combining fishing and birding from my boat in a quiet
corner of Sturgeon Bay, at about 8:00PM.

A great Blue Heron landed on a low branch of a large pine tree nearby,
about 15 feet off the ground. As I watched it with binoculars I was
amazed to see it start behaving like a flycatcher. Dragonflies were
extremely numerous and flying around everywhere. The Heron started
catching them (on the wing) as they flew around it. I observed it
catch and eat 4 in about 5 minutes.

The Heron seemed to have a little difficulty swallowing them. Perhaps
they don't slide down as easily as a minnow or frog.

Sturgeon Bay is part of Georgian Bay, near Pointe au Baril, which is
40 km north of Parry Sound. Great Blue Herons are very common in the
area.

Bob Ross
Toronto