[Ontbirds] Short-billed? Dowitcher - Embrun, Ottawa

ohmkid at rogers.com ohmkid at rogers.com
Mon Jul 13 16:33:54 EDT 2009

Hi Ontbirders

Yesterday, I saw a Dowitcher species (probably Short-billed) at the Embrun Sewage Lagoons in the furthest leftmost cell from Route 400 at around 8pm. Also, I saw a few Least Sandpipers, Lesser Yellowlegs, Spotted Sandpiper, Wood Duck and lots of Mallard families. The habitat at Embrun seems to be pretty good for waders right now.

Also, the Brant that I saw a couple of days ago may have been a newly rehabilitated bird from the Wild Bird Center located on Moodie Drive as there was one that came in a few weeks ago with an injury. I didn't see any rings, colour bands or wing tags so I assume that it is wild.

Sorry about the late posts.

Alex Stone
Ottawa, Ontario

Directions to Embrun Sewage Lagoons: