[Ontbirds] Am. White Pelican - at Presqu'ile PP yesterday July 18th 2009.

SLIMBIRD Gerard gphillips at istar.ca
Sun Jul 19 15:52:30 EDT 2009

Apologies for not being able to put the word out sooner.

An adult American White Pelican landed in Presu'ile Provincial Park
yesterday 7/18/09. The bird flew in at 4:10pm and landed on the spit at
Owens's Point where it promptly preened and slept. It was last seen still
sleeping on the spit at 8:45pm yesterday evening. I alerted two other
birders in the area who also saw the bird from beach 3.

I was at the spit again around 7:30 this morning 7/19/09, but there was no
sign of the pelican. It's possible it was out of sight somewhere around the
island perhaps, but it was not seen as of 10:30am when I left.
I managed two poor documentary photos, one taken in panic as it flew over
head while I was at beach 3, and another taken from beach 3 of it landed on
the spit about 800+ meters away.

There were four adult Sanderling between beach 3 and the point on the 18th
and three today, plus a flyover Greater Yellowlegs yesterday. There was also
an adult Bonaparte's Gull among the regular gulls and terns on Beach 3
yesterday.

_______

To reach Presqu'ile Provincial Park, follow the signs from Brighton.
Locations within the Park are shown on a map at the back of a tabloid
that is available at the Park gate.  Access to the offshore islands is
restricted at this time of year to prevent disturbance to the colonial
nesting birds there.

Good birding,
Gerard Phillips
Merrickville.