[Ontbirds] Toronto - High Park Raptor Watch - Sept. 1-7

High Park Raptor Watch hprw2006-hawks at yahoo.ca
Mon Sep 7 21:27:49 EDT 2009

This is an official posting from the High Park Raptor Watch.
Station: High Park, Toronto, Ontario
View Period: September 1 -7, 2009
Station coordinator: Don Barnett
Counters: D. Barnett, R. Carswell, C. Harte, M. Kelch, A.M. Leger, N. McHugh, N. Murr, D. Peuramaki, H. Shapiro, D. Woods
GTRW Webmasters: A. Hampton & D. Woods

The High Park Hawk Watch started on September 1st. As usual the first week's observations are of a few scattered birds. Much larger migration numbers are expected during the week of September 8-13. Expected early migrants will be Osprey, Bald Eagle, Northern Harrier and Sharp-shinned Hawk.

The following are our totals for September 1st to September 7th and the year to date:

Species
Turkey Vulture....................2
Osprey............................3
Bald Eagle........................3
Northern Harrier..................1
Sharp-Shinned Hawk...............56
Cooper's Hawk.....................9
Northern Goshawk..................-
Red-shouldered Hawk...............-
Broad-winged Hawk.................9
Red-tailed Hawk..................16
Rough-legged Hawk.................-
Golden Eagle......................-
American Kestrel..................6
Merlin............................1
Peregrine Falcon..................4
Other(Swainson's Hawk)............-
Unidentified......................5

*Totals for Peregrine Falcon may be high due to local birds which are unintentionally counted as migrating individuals.

High Park Site Description
High Park is a 400 acre wooded park dominated by a Black Oak Savannah located just west of Downtown Toronto near Keele and Bloor. The park is operated by the City of Toronto Parks Department.

The Count site (Hawk Hill) is located on a small hillat the north end of the Grenadier Restaurant parking lot. It is located about 1.5km (1 mile) north of Lake Ontario, at an elevation of 110 metres above sea level and 38 metres above Lake Ontario. The site location is N 43 degrees 37 minutes 03.8 seconds, W 79 degrees 28 minutes 56.5 seconds. This station is at the highest point and near the centre of the park; a steep slope that descends to a large pond is immediately west of the station. Full time counts have been recorded here since 1993.

The following are partners in our raptor migration monitoring in the Greater Toronto Region: City of Toronto Parks and Culture Department, Toronto Ornithological Club, and Local Naturalist's Clubs.

More information including a summary of our past observations is available at:
http://www.torontobirding.ca/~gtrw/
Observations for this season are not yet available.

Howard Shapiro