[Ontbirds] Shorebirds at Britannia Road, Oakville, Red Knot off Eastport Drive, Sabine's Gulls and Kittiwake at Van Wagners Beach

Cheryl Edgecombe cheryle29 at cogeco.ca
Tue Sep 8 15:47:20 EDT 2009

Very busy here today in the Hamilton Study Area!

A quick trip out this afternoon yielded several species of shorebirds
including

Buff-breasted Sandpiper

Stilt Sandpiper

Least Sandpiper

Spotted Sandpiper

Pectoral Sandpiper

White-rumped Sandpiper

Greater Yellowlegs

Lesser Yellowlegs

Wilson's Snipe

The construction was not going on in this part of the cell so the work crew
didn't mind people were there when I was there.

I also had an adult Red Knot at North Island visible from Eastport Drive in
Burlington

Word from the beach is that the Black-legged Kittiwake is flying around and
three Sabine's Gulls were hanging about at a distance but staying at the
time I received word which was about 3 pm.

Directions to Britannia site as per Don Perks:

>From 401 south on Trafalgar turn right on Brittania Rd to the bend in the
road and park in front of cement barriers.From Q.E.go north onBronte Rd.turn
right on Brittania Rd going east watch the traffic lights in Omagh Watch
speed here.

Before the bend in the road watch for the cement barriers park then walk
northward about 2-300 meters.

Directions to Eastport

Take QEW Niagara and get off at Eastport Drive, follow it  as if to go over
the lift bridge and don't get back on the Skyway Bridge.  There is room to
pull over on the right, be careful as traffic can be heavy in the rush hour.
The bird was on the first island where a number of Terns are sitting in a
small cover, the most northern island from CCIW and the first island you
come to south of Lakeshore Road in Burlington.  Its where the White Pelican
was several weeks ago.

Directions to Van Wagners Beach: Take the Centennial Parkway (Hwy.20)> exit
from the QEW in east Hamilton and proceed north to the North> Service Rd.,
turn left and continue west as it turns into Van Wagners> Road. Continue to
the parking lots at either Hutch's Restaurant or the> Lakeland Centre
viewing tower and view the lake anywhere near here.

Cheers,
Cheryl