[Ontbirds] PLEASE LOOK FOR GREAT EGRETS WITH COLOR BANDS

WilliamWatsonSr at aol.com WilliamWatsonSr at aol.com
Wed Sep 9 15:38:56 EDT 2009

PLEASE SAVE THIS EMAIL FOR FUTURE  REFERENCE
PLEASE LOOK FOR GREAT EGRETS WITH COLOR-BANDS ON  THEIR LEGS
This breeding season over 300 Great Egrets were banded at  their colonies
in western Lake Erie (Middle Sister Island) in Georgian  Bay (Nottawasaga
Island and Chantry  Island) and Motor Island in the Niagara River with
spectacular results. As of  August 17th there have been a remarkable 25 resightings
of these  color-banded egrets this year!
On May 31st Peter Yeorg found our  first spring record of a color-banded
Great Egret at the Tonawanda Wildlife  Management Area in western New York.
At Reesor  Pond in Markham, which is 14 miles north-northeast of Toronto,
Ontario,  Winnie Poon and Roy Smith and were able to obtain the  band number
and a photograph on one egret, observed at noon  July 5, 2009, with 6 other
non-banded Great Egrets. This egret was banded as a nestling, on  Nottawasaga
Island (Georgian Bay, near Collingwood) on June 20, 2008.  (Jean Iron at
Reesor Pond observed this  same bird as late as August 3rd.) On July 23rd a
banded  adult Great Egret was spotted with two other egrets (at least one of
which had a  metal band on the right leg) at the Sheridan Park Golf Course in
Tonawanda, New  York. August 2nd Peter Yeorg successfully read the band code
of a  Great Egret at Batavia Waste Water Treatment Plant in New York.
August  7th I read the band code of a second Great Egret at Batavia WWTP, and  on
August 8th Willie D’Anna was able to find both birds and read  their band
codes. On August 16th Kim Saucy and Kim Marie photographed  two banded birds
at Batavia WWTP. On the 17th I found the same bird  at Batavia that I
identified on the 7th. August 9th at the  Hydro Marsh in Durham, Ontario, Winnie
Poon found another banded Great Egret and  read the code. August 17th Clive
Hodder hit the jackpot and read the  band codes of nine Great Egrets at
Luther Marsh the upper Grand River Valley, 25  miles north of Guelph, Ontario.
If you see any color-banded Great Egrets, please record the date,
location, number of other egrets with them, and, if possible, the letter(s) and
number(s) of the banding code, so we can better document the dispersal pattern
of these fledglings. Report all sighting of Great Egret with red
color-bands to  at least one of the following locations. Note: Some egrets banded this
year have  multiple colors such as a red band and a yellow band so as to
give us additional  information on bird were the code was not successfully
read. You should be able  to read the three digit alphanumeric band code with a
spotting scope and  patients.
D. V. Chip Weseloh
Canadian Wildlife  Service-Ontario Region
4905 Dufferin St.
Downsview, Ontario
M3H  5T4
Phone: 416-739-5846