[Ontbirds] HSR: Hawk Cliff Hawkwatch (10 Sep 2009) 256 Raptors

reports at hawkcount.org reports at hawkcount.org
Sat Sep 12 00:09:55 EDT 2009

Hawk Cliff Hawkwatch
Port Stanley, Ontario, Canada
Daily Raptor Counts: Sep 10, 2009

Black Vulture                0              0              0
Turkey Vulture               0              0             13
Osprey                       5             35             41
Bald Eagle                   4             38             56
Northern Harrier            13             42             67
Sharp-shinned Hawk         168            866            892
Cooper's Hawk                1             14             16
Northern Goshawk             0              0              0
Red-shouldered Hawk          0              0              0
Broad-winged Hawk            2             65             92
Red-tailed Hawk              0             11             16
Rough-legged Hawk            0              0              0
Golden Eagle                 0              0              0
American Kestrel            52            404            418
Merlin                       9             21             24
Peregrine Falcon             2              5              8
Unknown Accipiter            0              0              0
Unknown Buteo                0              0              0
Unknown Falcon               0              0              0
Unknown Eagle                0              0              0
Unknown Raptor               0              0              0

Total:                     256           1501           1643

Observation start time: 07:00:00
Observation end   time: 15:00:00
Total observation time: 8 hours

Official Counter:        Colin Horstead

Observers:        Don Taylor, Harvey Patterson, Jim Dunn, Kathy, Keith Sealy,
                  Mary Carnahan, Ronnie Goodhand, Tom Bolohan

Visitors:
Paula Stemp (Waterloo), Harvey Medland & Margaret Kelch (T.O.)

Weather:
The day started with very little cloud cover then eventually built up in
the afternoon. Temp made it to a high of 23C. The humidity was a bit high
through the day which likely limited the flight. Winds were moderate NE to
start and then shifted to E and light.

Raptor Observations:
A total of 256 birds counted for the day...the highlight being the 2
Peregrines. Also some good Merlins (9) and Kestrels (52). Only a couple of
Broadwings.

Non-raptor Observations:
None recorded.
Report submitted by Dave Brown (thebrowns at ezlink.on.ca)
Hawk Cliff Hawkwatch information may be found at:
http://www.ezlink.on.ca/~thebrowns/HawkCliff/index.htm

Site Description:
The Hawk Cliff Hawk watch is located just east of Port Stanley on the cliff
overlooking Lake Erie. Over the years the Hawk Cliff site has grown in
popularity and today it is recognized as one of the prime fall migration
hawk watching destinations in North America.
Every year hundreds of birders (and non-birders!) from Canada, the U.S.
and other countries visit the site. Knowledgeable volunteers are always on
hand to assist visitors with raptor identification and to raise public
awareness on the subject of raptor migration.

Birders can normally expect to see some 15 different raptor species with
typical count totals reaching several thousand birds per day. The count
season is from September 1st to November 30th.
On a few exceptional occasions lucky visitors have witnessed the amazing
spectacle of over 100,000 raptors of various species migrating past Hawk
Cliff in a single day!
Hawk Cliff hawkwatch is a great location for visitors to come to learn
about raptors and their migration. We cater to school groups, and will
arrange to provide special live bird demos for the kids (if possible)
depending on the day's flight.

Please visit the Hawk Cliff Foundation website listed above for more
detailed information and special events.

Directions to site:
>From east 401, take the Highbury south cut off at London, follow Highbury
(Hwy 30) south to St. Thomas. Highbury changes into South Edgeware at a
large curve in the road to the west. Follow South Edgeware west to the
first set of traffic lights - Burwell Road, turn left (south) and stay on
this road. It becomes Fairview Ave (Regional Road 22), which runs directly
into Hawk Cliff Road. You will see a sign for Hawkes Cliff Farm, where they
sell fresh vegetables and a gravel road just beyond sign. Just continue
down gravel road to viewing area.

>From west 401, take the Highway # 4 (Colonel Talbot Rd.) exit south,
through Talbotville, road now is Sunset Rd. continue towards St. Thomas;
you will come to a veer in the road, straight up to St. Thomas, veer to the
right for Port Stanley, follow Highway 4, now Sunset to Port Stanley. As
you approach Port Stanley you will come to a large curve  in the road with
a sign saying East St, to the left. Take East St., and follow it to the
first road left, (opposite Port Stanley Water Tower) Dexter Line. Follow
Dexter Line approximately 2 km. and turn right down gravel road at Hawkes
Cliff Farm, and follow gravel road to viewing area