[Ontbirds] 2 BALD EAGLES among 60 migrating raptors at Cranberry, WHITBY, ON--SEP12/09

Doug Lockrey lockrey33 at rogers.com
Sat Sep 12 14:58:54 EDT 2009

 Cranberry Marsh
sw Whitby, Ontario, Canada--south roadside parking area on Hall's Rd.
Saturday, Sep.12/09
Observation  time: 0700-1300EDT

Official Counter: Rayfield Pye
Observers:   Jim Skene, Doug Lockrey, Dave Shilman, Carol Horner, Jean Iron,
Gerry Ball,
Winnie Poon, Roy Smith, Dan Kaczynski, Karl Jennewein

 Weather:
sunny; medium N winds, Bar.pr.102.1 falling, TUV=3, 22C

Alas, we had north winds, BUT the falling BP and, no doubt, the
Broad-wingeds are still far to the east;
we had hoped for a much greater than 60 count.

An estimated 15 R-t Hummingbirds came through in migration. ALSO, PERHAPS
1000 BLUE JAYS
WERE STREAMING THROUGH ALL MORNING.

Migrating Raptor Observations:
7 turkey vulture, 2 BALD EAGLE (a 2nd yr. at 0945; an adult at 1115), 4
Osprey, 29 Sharp-shinned,
2 Broad-winged, 1 Red-tailed, 11 Am.Kestrel, 4 Unidentifieds.

 Non-raptor Observations:  YELLOW-BELLIED SAPSUCKER, marsh  wren,  15+
hummingbirds,  Wilson's
warbler,  YELLOW-RUMPED WARBLER, black-&-white warbler, Am.redstart,
magnolia warbler,
2 GREAT  EGRETS, common  yellowthroat,  BLACK-CROWNED NIGHT HERON,  swamp
sparrow,
common loon,  rose-breasted grosbeak, CEDAR WAXWINGS, swallows--cliff,
barn,tree.

>From the 401 eastbound, exit at Salem Rd. in Ajax, south to Bayly, then
east through LakeRidge Rd. to the first street beyond--Hall's Rd.--south
toward the lake to the second roadside parking area.

 Raptor Species         Sep.12  Month Total   Season Total