[Ontbirds] HSR: Hawk Cliff Hawkwatch (12 Sep 2009) 577 Raptors

reports at hawkcount.org reports at hawkcount.org
Sun Sep 13 01:09:29 EDT 2009

Hawk Cliff Hawkwatch
Port Stanley, Ontario, Canada
Daily Raptor Counts: Sep 12, 2009

Black Vulture                0              0              0
Turkey Vulture               0              0             13
Osprey                       4             44             50
Bald Eagle                   6             53             71
Northern Harrier             2             46             71
Sharp-shinned Hawk         112           1170           1196
Cooper's Hawk                4             19             21
Northern Goshawk             0              0              0
Red-shouldered Hawk          0              0              0
Broad-winged Hawk          336            714            741
Red-tailed Hawk              1             12             17
Rough-legged Hawk            0              0              0
Golden Eagle                 0              0              0
American Kestrel           110            584            598
Merlin                       2             24             27
Peregrine Falcon             0              9             12
Unknown Accipiter            0              0              0
Unknown Buteo                0              0              0
Unknown Falcon               0              0              0
Unknown Eagle                0              0              0
Unknown Raptor               0              0              0

Total:                     577           2675           2817

Observation start time: 06:00:00
Observation end   time: 15:00:00
Total observation time: 9 hours

Official Counter:        Colin Horstead

Observers:        Al Hurst, Ches Caister, Dave Brown, Derek Lyon, Eric Single,
                  Jennifer Lyon, Kathy, Keith Sealy, Mark Cunningham,
                  Mary Carnahan, Ronnie Goodhand, Tom Bolohan

Visitors:
A good crowd for our first open house day. Visitors included a group from
the Kitchener Field Naturalists.

Weather:
A beautiful day weatherwise for the first of our open house days...high
cloud and a good NE breeze for most of the morning. Unfortunately, the wind
lessened through the start of the afternoon and eventually shifted to the
SW. Temp was far too warm with a high of 23C (and felt even hotter in the
direct sun).

Raptor Observations:
The flight today was almost identical to the flight from yesterday with a
total of 577 birds. Slightly more Broadwings today with 336...best kettle
included about 110 of the Broidwings. The birds were at all flight
heights...though the Broadwings were mostly on the high side.

Non-raptor Observations:
Good numbers of warblers and other passerines. Warblers included Canada,
Wilson's, BT Blue, BT Green, Bay-breasted, Pine, Nashville and others
flitting around but making it tough to identify. Vesper Sparrow was heard.
A flock of 3 Black-bellied Plover and a Common Loon passed by as well. Very
few Monarchs today...a lot more dragonflies.

Predictions:
The predictions for Sunday are NW winds to about 15km/h and more sunny
skies with cloudy periods.
Report submitted by Dave Brown (thebrowns at ezlink.on.ca)
Hawk Cliff Hawkwatch information may be found at:
http://www.ezlink.on.ca/~thebrowns/HawkCliff/index.htm

Site Description:
The Hawk Cliff Hawk watch is located just east of Port Stanley on the cliff
overlooking Lake Erie. Over the years the Hawk Cliff site has grown in
popularity and today it is recognized as one of the prime fall migration
hawk watching destinations in North America.
Every year hundreds of birders (and non-birders!) from Canada, the U.S.
and other countries visit the site. Knowledgeable volunteers are always on
hand to assist visitors with raptor identification and to raise public
awareness on the subject of raptor migration.

Birders can normally expect to see some 15 different raptor species with
typical count totals reaching several thousand birds per day. The count
season is from September 1st to November 30th.
On a few exceptional occasions lucky visitors have witnessed the amazing
spectacle of over 100,000 raptors of various species migrating past Hawk
Cliff in a single day!
Hawk Cliff hawkwatch is a great location for visitors to come to learn
about raptors and their migration. We cater to school groups, and will
arrange to provide special live bird demos for the kids (if possible)
depending on the day's flight.

Please visit the Hawk Cliff Foundation website listed above for more
detailed information and special events.

Directions to site:
>From east 401, take the Highbury south cut off at London, follow Highbury
(Hwy 30) south to St. Thomas. Highbury changes into South Edgeware at a
large curve in the road to the west. Follow South Edgeware west to the
first set of traffic lights - Burwell Road, turn left (south) and stay on
this road. It becomes Fairview Ave (Regional Road 22), which runs directly
into Hawk Cliff Road. You will see a sign for Hawkes Cliff Farm, where they
sell fresh vegetables and a gravel road just beyond sign. Just continue
down gravel road to viewing area.

>From west 401, take the Highway # 4 (Colonel Talbot Rd.) exit south,
through Talbotville, road now is Sunset Rd. continue towards St. Thomas;
you will come to a veer in the road, straight up to St. Thomas, veer to the
right for Port Stanley, follow Highway 4, now Sunset to Port Stanley. As
you approach Port Stanley you will come to a large curve  in the road with
a sign saying East St, to the left. Take East St., and follow it to the
first road left, (opposite Port Stanley Water Tower) Dexter Line. Follow
Dexter Line approximately 2 km. and turn right down gravel road at Hawkes
Cliff Farm, and follow gravel road to viewing area