[Ontbirds] Ottawa - Swainson's Thrush, White-crowned Sparrows

Patrick Blake pjblake22 at hotmail.com
Thu Oct 1 12:16:44 EDT 2009

Hi ONTBirders:

At the Fletcher Wildlife Gardens, there was quite a lot of activity near the crab apple trees and berry bushes near the Ash Woodlot.  A highlight was a SWAINSON'S THRUSH, apparently a juvenile, which made a brief appearance.  Lots of WHITE-THROATED SPARROWS and AMERICAN ROBINS, with a few RUBY-CROWNED KINGLETS, 2 WHITE-CROWNED SPARROWS, and 5 GRAY CATBIRDS.  A late COMMON YELLOWTHROAT was heard and seen in the tall grasses near the crab apple trees.  A NORTHERN HARRIER made a fly-by when I first arrived, and a RED-TAILED HAWK Was observed chasing crows from its perch near the patch of agricultural land at the southern end of the Gardens.

Good birding!

Pat

DIRECTIONS:  The Fletcher Wildlife Garden is located on Prince of Wales Drive in Ottawa, across from the Museum of Agriculture.