[Ontbirds] HSR: Hawk Cliff Hawkwatch (04 Oct 2009) 154 Raptors

reports at hawkcount.org reports at hawkcount.org
Sun Oct 4 15:10:08 EDT 2009

Hawk Cliff Hawkwatch
Port Stanley, Ontario, Canada
Daily Raptor Counts: Oct 04, 2009

Black Vulture                0              0              0
Turkey Vulture              53           2482           2964
Osprey                       0              3            133
Bald Eagle                   4             18            180
Northern Harrier             3             15            296
Sharp-shinned Hawk          92            499           4513
Cooper's Hawk                2              6             83
Northern Goshawk             0              0              0
Red-shouldered Hawk          0              1              4
Broad-winged Hawk            0             29          22110
Red-tailed Hawk              0              6             58
Rough-legged Hawk            0              0              0
Golden Eagle                 0              0              1
American Kestrel             0             51           2067
Merlin                       0              0             50
Peregrine Falcon             0             34             90
Unknown Accipiter            0              0              0
Unknown Buteo                0              0              0
Unknown Falcon               0              0              0
Unknown Eagle                0              0              0
Unknown Raptor               0              0              0

Total:                     154           3144          32549

Observation start time: 08:00:00
Observation end   time: 12:00:00
Total observation time: 4 hours

Official Counter:        Jim Dunn

Observers:        Alf Rider, Ernie Gribble, Kathy, Mark Cunningham,
                  Mary Carnahan

Visitors:
Lots of visitors today perhaps hoping for a few more Peregrines? It's been
great to see so many folks stopping by to see what the hawkwatch is all
about. Thanks to those that made it out today to do the actual count....Jim
D. Mark C., Mary C., Kathy and Ernie G.

Weather:
Lots of cloud but the rain pretty much held off. Temp to a high of 21C with
some haze as the morning wore on. Winds were light from the WSW.

Raptor Observations:
Not a single Peregrine today...in fact not a single falcon at all...so all
the Peregrines we had yesterday must've been on the west side of the big
front with all the associated rain that moved through Friday and Saturday.
Total raptors today was 154...most being TV's (53) and Sharpies (92). A few
Harriers again today as well.

Non-raptor Observations:
Palm Warbler, Chipping Sparrow. E. Phoebe, Tree Swallow, RT Hummingbird, RC
and GC Kinglets, Downie Woodpecker. YB Sapsucker, WT Sparrow, Blue Jays,
Starlings, House Wrens, E. Towhee, Blackpoll Warbler, Cedar Waxwings, large
flight of Am. Goldfinches, Am. Robins, Killdeer, RB Nuthatch, Song Sparrow.

Predictions:
Monday's looking nice weatherwise...and moderate NW winds should bring a
few birds along the lakeshore.
Report submitted by Dave Brown (thebrowns at ezlink.on.ca)
Hawk Cliff Hawkwatch information may be found at:
http://www.ezlink.on.ca/~thebrowns/HawkCliff/index.htm

Site Description:
The Hawk Cliff Hawk watch is located just east of Port Stanley on the cliff
overlooking Lake Erie. Over the years the Hawk Cliff site has grown in
popularity and today it is recognized as one of the prime fall migration
hawk watching destinations in North America.
Every year hundreds of birders (and non-birders!) from Canada, the U.S.
and other countries visit the site. Knowledgeable volunteers are always on
hand to assist visitors with raptor identification and to raise public
awareness on the subject of raptor migration.

Birders can normally expect to see some 15 different raptor species with
typical count totals reaching several thousand birds per day. The count
season is from September 1st to November 30th.
On a few exceptional occasions lucky visitors have witnessed the amazing
spectacle of over 100,000 raptors of various species migrating past Hawk
Cliff in a single day!
Hawk Cliff hawkwatch is a great location for visitors to come to learn
about raptors and their migration. We cater to school groups, and will
arrange to provide special live bird demos for the kids (if possible)
depending on the day's flight.

Please visit the Hawk Cliff Foundation website listed above for more
detailed information and special events.

Directions to site:
>From east 401, take the Highbury south cut off at London, follow Highbury
(Hwy 30) south to St. Thomas. Highbury changes into South Edgeware at a
large curve in the road to the west. Follow South Edgeware west to the
first set of traffic lights - Burwell Road, turn left (south) and stay on
this road. It becomes Fairview Ave (Regional Road 22), which runs directly
into Hawk Cliff Road. You will see a sign for Hawkes Cliff Farm, where they
sell fresh vegetables and a gravel road just beyond sign. Just continue
down gravel road to viewing area.

>From west 401, take the Highway # 4 (Colonel Talbot Rd.) exit south,
through Talbotville, road now is Sunset Rd. continue towards St. Thomas;
you will come to a veer in the road, straight up to St. Thomas, veer to the
right for Port Stanley, follow Highway 4, now Sunset to Port Stanley. As
you approach Port Stanley you will come to a large curve  in the road with
a sign saying East St, to the left. Take East St., and follow it to the
first road left, (opposite Port Stanley Water Tower) Dexter Line. Follow
Dexter Line approximately 2 km. and turn right down gravel road at Hawkes
Cliff Farm, and follow gravel road to viewing area