[Ontbirds] 712 MIGRANT HAWKS DURING LIGHT NW WIND OF MORNING at Cranberry Marsh RW- Oct108/09--sw Whitby, ON

Doug Lockrey lockrey33 at rogers.com
Sat Oct 10 16:27:31 EDT 2009

For 3 hours in the AM today/Oct.10, we had good thermals, light NW wind and
a rising BP;
as many as 15 observers were challenged to find high-flying raptors in the
blue skies.
They did a great job, counting 712 hawks. It was wonderful to have Stephen
O'Donnell
 and Judy Arar, from Kenora, with us, along with Jim Heslop from the Golden
Horseshoe.

Cranberry Marsh
sw Whitby, Ontario, Canada--south roadside parking area on Hall's Rd.
Saturday, Oct.10/09
Observation  time: 0730-1230EDT

Official Counter: Doug Lockrey
Observers:  Rayfield Pye, Alf Lisk, Karl Jennewein, Alan Woods, Jim Skene,
Craig McLauchlan, Carol Horner, Stephen O'Donnell, Judy Arar, Dave Shilman,
Barry Pinsky, Roy Smith, Winnie Poon, Jim Heslop, Rosemary Harris, Phil
Babin
and many others.

Weather: light NW wind; BP=101.4 rising, TUV=3; 6 up to 20C; then at 1045
the wind swung to the W, AND the raptor numbers dropped off.

Migrating Raptor Observations: SEE TABLE BELOW
468 TV, 2 BALD EAGLES (adult), 11 N.Harriers, 181 Sharp-shinneds,9 COOPER'S,
6 RED-SHOULDEREDs, 11 Red-tailed, 15 AM.KESTRELS, 9 Unidentifieds

Non-raptor Observations: 5 GREAT EGRETs, VIRGINIA RAIL, White-crowned
sparrow,
6 RUSTY BLACKBIRDS, WILSON'S SNIPE, 2 TRUMPETER SWANS,
AM.PIPIT, CACKLING GOOSE, Y-B SAPSUCKER, our "resident" 2-yr.old BE,
and many others.

10 MONARCHS and 1 MOURNING CLOAK flew through.

>From the 401 eastbound, exit at Salem Rd. in Ajax, south to Bayly, then
east through LakeRidge Rd. to the first street beyond--Hall's Rd.--south
toward the lake to the second roadside parking area.
> - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
> Raptor Species              OCT. 10   Month Total   Season Total
Black Vulture                         0                   0
0
Turkey Vulture                    468              727                2052
Osprey                                   0                  3
134
Bald Eagle                              2                  6
38
Northern Harrier                   11               20                   65
Sharp-shinned Hawk           181             292                1046
Cooper's Hawk                      9                16                    55
Northern Goshawk                 0                  3                     5
Red-shouldered Hawk           6                   8                   10
Broad-winged Hawk              0                  0                  416
Red-tailed Hawk                  11                21                  154
Rough-legged Hawk              0                  0                     0
Golden Eagle                         0                  0
0
American Kestrel                 15                32                  369
Merlin                                   0                   4
26
Peregrine Falcon                   0                   7
30
Unknown Accipiter               1                   9                      9
Unknown Buteo                    2                 21                    25
Unknown Falcon                   0                  1                      1
Unknown Eagle                     0                   0
0
Unknown Raptor                  6                  11                  29