[Ontbirds] Fwd: Juvenile Golden Eagle in Peel County

Chris Evans chrisgevans55 at gmail.com
Fri Feb 12 12:16:55 EST 2010

Dear Raptor Lovers,

I had to do a bit of driving for work Thursday, February 11th, 2010 and had
the splendid good fortune to observe a magnificent juvenile Golden Eagle
contouring in blue skies in the Forks of the Credit area SE of Orangeville,
W of Caledon Village at 11:30 A.M. today.

It was catching some good air rising up out of the Credit River valley and
contouring along effortlessly at about 60 km/h in a Northwesterly direction
between 300 and 400 m West of Willoughby Road from just North of Charleston
Sideroad/County Road 24 to just past Beechgrove Sideroad where it did a few
circles to show off its large dark brown tail, half white to the base and
dark brown wings with white patches at the base of the primaries above and
below.  The median secondary coverts were somewhat golden and the head was
relatively small but at the distance I did not notice the golden nape
because I was more focussed on the diagnostic white wing patches and white
base of the tail.  I was observing it with 8.5x42 binoculars and smiling
broadly, while safely stopped on the (narrow) shoulder of the road, of
course.

Incidentally, I had just observed a Red-Tailed Hawk and a dark morph
Rough-legged Hawk at 11:25 A.M. West of McLaren Road above the quarry NW of
the Forks of the Credit Provincial Park.

I should drive for work more often ...

Happy Valentine's Day,

Chris Evans, Midhurst, Ontario

--