[Ontbirds] OFO Rondeau FT - Sun May 2

Maris Apse apsemaris at hotmail.com
Wed May 5 23:29:29 EDT 2010

    My apologies for the tardiness of this report but I had no computer access until we returned from Windsor via Pelee late last night.

    Over 20 OFO members met at 8:00 am at the Visitor Centre seeing a Lincoln's Sparrow at the feeders with some of the more usual 'feeder birds'. The weather 'loomed' but improved greatly until our last stop, when we had to abandon Blenheim S.L. due to driving rain ~5:00 pm before we could not get to the last lagoon. We managed to tally just 86 species - surely quite a low count but an enjoyable and varied day of birding. Species highlights, more or less in order -

     South Point Trail - Common Loon(6/7), House Wren, Blackburnian Warbler, Red-headed Woodpecker, Eastern Towhee, Northern Mockingbird, Warbling Vireo, Common Yellowthroat, Field, Chipping Sparrow.

     Tulip Tree trail - Cooper's Hawk on nest, Red-bellied Woodpecker, Wood Thrush, Northern Waterthrush.

     Spicebush Trail - Wood Duck, Nashville, Black-throated Green Warbler(heard only), White-throated, White-crowned Sparrow.

     Maintenance 'loop' - Black and White, Yellow-rumped Warbler.

 Donald Pye and one or two cars proceeded directly to the Blenheim lagoons as they had other commitments wheras the rest of us drove to Erieau via Shrewsbury and then to BSL.

  Shrewsbury - Great-blue Heron 'heronry', Lesser Scaup, Bufflehead, Lesser Yellowlegs.

  Erieau - Caspian, Forster's Tern, Great Black-backed, Bonaparte's Gull and Cattle Egret at Erieau Road and Bisnett Line.

  Blenheim SL - Northern Shoveler, Bufflehead, Ruddy Duck, Spotted, Pectoral Sandpiper, Greater and Lesser Yellowlegs and Dunlin joined the Wilson's Phalarope who arrived ~ Mar 17, all six swallow sp, Savannah Sparrow and a pair of Bobolink as we left.

Maris Apse 10094 Red Pine Road, Box 22, RR #2 Grand Bend ON N0M 1T0 (519) 238 - 8415