[Ontbirds] Col. Sam . Park (Toronto) Waterfront - large aerial forager flocks!

Andrew Keaveney uofgtwitcher at msn.com
Sat May 8 20:29:18 EDT 2010

Hey birders,

A late evening lake watch yielded a great # of swallows.  Between Col. Sam's eastern bay and looking east to Humbay Bay Park area I was able to view well over 1000 swallows.  This is excellent given how our aerial foragers are in decline.

Nearshore I had over 200 and I started counting the offshore #'s but gave up after 300 and there were 3-4 times that at least.

Bank Swallows and Cliff Swallows formed at significant proportion (~50%) while Barn Swallows and Tree Swallows made the other 50%.  Interestingly only a single Rough-winged Swallow was noted nearshore (though likely more were unidentified offshore) and NO Purple Martins were seen.

Other birds - several Common Loon, 1 Red-necked Grebe, Long-tailed Ducks and Red-breasted Mergansers, 1 Bufflehead, otherwise quite empty of waterfowl.

Cheers,

Andrew.