[Ontbirds] Algonquin East birds

PETER HALL halljp at rogers.com
Sun Jun 6 09:37:48 EDT 2010

Hi Ontbirders:

Yesterday, I attended the Algonquin East butterfly count with Ken Allison. However, the weather was pretty miserable for butterflies, so spent an equal amount of time looking for birds. Ken and I were assigned the area that covered the last 10 km of the Barron Canyon Road to the east of Lake Travers. This is mostly sandy, Jack Pine country. Among the birds seen/heard were Black-backed Woodpecker, Olive-sided and Alder Flycatcher, Gray Jay, 15 species of warbler (including Cape May), Indigo Bunting and Evening Grosbeak.

good birding

Peter Hall

Directions (adapted from Neily Birding World): To reach the Algonquin Park eastern access (the Sand Lake Gate), drive west along Highway 17 to the northwest of Renfrew for about 52 km (about 6 km beyond Pembroke) to the turnoff on the left at the sign for Lake Traverse, Achray campground, Barron Canyon and Sand Lake Gate of Algonquin Park. Turn left and proceed around 30 km on Barron Canyon Road to Sand Lake Gate and the park. Access to Lake Traverse is near km 72.