[Ontbirds] FW: Participants needed for Central Ontario Whip-poor-will surveys (ontbirds)

Kathy Jones volunteer at birdscanada.org
Tue Jun 15 08:38:58 EDT 2010

Hi everyone

Bird Studies Canada - Ontario Region is seeking volunteers to conduct Whip-poor-will surveys at existing Central Ontario Owl Survey routes this June, and we are hoping that you will be able to help.

Surveys will take place on a single evening at assigned locations and will be timed to coincide with the full moon. The protocol will require:

*       one survey to be completed between  June 19th and  June 26th;
*       survey routes will follow the exact layout of existing owl routes (route information provided);
*       each stop will be surveyed for  6  minutes;
*       survey starts 30 minutes after sunset;
*       electronic copies of protocols and data forms will be provided;
*       paper copies of data will need to be returned to Kathy Jones at Bird Studies Canada no later than July 10th, 2010;

You can use the link below to see if an existing route is available near you.  The associated Google map shows the first station of  each 2010 Ontario Whip-poor-will Project survey route.  If you would like to participate please review the map, choose a route(s)  and send Kathy Jones the id [e.g. 1-1].  You can choose either a red route or a blue route, green routes are no longer available.   Route selection will be given on a first come, first serve basis.  Once I have confirmed your route selection I will send you a map showing the stations and a way point table.

Map link: http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&msa=0&msid=107905494735430503464.000488885254f4760f08d&ll=47.100045,-77.827148&spn=13.971267,27.290039&z=5&iwloc=0004888855c48a8e5b840

Please let me know if you are interested in surveying by 18 June 2010.

Casual observations of Whip-poor-wills are also welcome.  These can be emailed directly to Kathy Jones with "Whip-poor-will report" in the subject line.  For each observation please include the date, time, number of birds,  geographic location (latitude longitude or UTM) and the nearest town.

Additional information and data forms will be made available at  http://www.birdscanada.org/birdmon/wpwi/  as they become available.

We hope that you will join us in this new and exciting opportunity.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Sincerely,
Kathy Jones
Volunteer Coordinator -- Ontario
(Canadian Lakes Loon Survey)
Bird Studies Canada
P.O. Box 160, Port Rowan ON   N0E 1M0
Toll Free: 1-888-448-2473 ext. 124  Fax: 1-519-586-3532
E-mail: volunteer at birdscanada.org
Web Page: www.birdscanada.org
Understand  Appreciate  Conserve

Canadian Lakes Loon Survey Online Registration www.birdscanada.org/shopping/shop.jsp<http://www.birdscanada.org/shopping/shop.jsp>
NatureCounts  www.birdscanada.org/birdmon

>From time to time, BSC may send you information regarding our programs, special issues, membership, and other correspondence. If you would prefer not to receive this information, please contact us by mail at the address above or e-mail rkirton at bsc-eoc.org. Thank you.
Au cours de l'année, Études d'Oiseaux Canada envoie de la documentation concernant ses programmes, ses activités ou autres. Si vous désirez ne pas recevoir cette information, faites-nous parvenir un message par la poste ou par courrier électronique à rkirton at bsc-eoc.org.