[Ontbirds] Cackling Goose - Toronto Zoo Africa section

Andrew Keaveney uofgtwitcher at msn.com
Tue Jun 22 17:20:55 EDT 2010

Hey Ontbirders.  As a follow up to Brandon Holden's posting of 3 Cackling Geese in the Toronto Zoo's Africa section I popped in quick yesterday and found a single bird.  There were a good dozen Greater Canada Geese whose wings were clipped within 100m in the same enclosure area but this lone Cackler (well... there were 3 Egyptian Geese with it) was unclipped as mentioned by Brandon and showed no sign of NOT being legitimately wild.

It has a partial white collar just above the breast, more like a small crescent moon or oval of white where the neck and breast join.  Bill looked fine.  Brandon's photos aren't as good as his usually are but they would be accepted, lol.

http://www.peregrineprints.com/ind__Blog.htm

Cheers,

Andrew Keaveney

Also I noticed that Brandon has taken some photos of 2 cormorants he saw in flight around Hamilton that he seems to be under the impression are Greats?  I'm sorry Brandon, you find some great stuff but I'm just not getting the Great Cormorant vibe from your photos.  I guess they must have been a ways off because the photos are pretty grainy.  Others are encouraged to look under his blog on the website above.

Directions - visit the zoo website at: http://www.torontozoo.com/  -
for hours, directions and rates.