[Ontbirds] Red Efts, Chick-wills-widow and Acadian Flycatcher - June 23rd

Geoff - Birds avocet at rogers.com
Thu Jun 24 10:54:40 EDT 2010

Didn't see a post in a while ... Peter Hogenbirk and I did a run for the Acadian Flycatcher yesterday (June 23) and were immediately successful in hearing and seeing it. On the walk into the woods we saw 9 Red Efts (land form of the Red-spotted Newt) - most I've ever seen in a day. They do not move out of the way so be careful not to trample them please.

We were very lucky as the rain stopped at 9 p.m. and started again about 9:45 - just enough of a window for the bird to start calling. We heard the Chuck-wills-Widow at Carden at 9:13 p.m. and it was still calling at 9:33 when we left. It is very buggy there now so bring bug juice! A whip-poor-will briefly joined the chorus about 9:20.

Directions:

Chuck-wills-widow: From Kirkfield, take Hwy 48 east for about 3 km, turn left onto Victoria Road (aka City Road 35), go about 3 km north then right (east) onto Doyle Road.  After about 1.5 km after you cross under the hydro lines start listening for the bird; if you get to the sharp left bend in the road, you have gone too far.

Acadian Flycatcher: Directions - 400 Hwy N to King Sideroad, W to 7th Concession, N to where it stops at 16th Sideroad. Turn right and follow this road for ~1km until it ends at a cul-d-sac where the well marked narrow trail starts on north side of parking area - pass through narrow fenced trail entrance and walk about 2-300 meters to where a very small creek bed runs parallel to the trail and look and listen.  Bird is very vocal.

Geoff Carpentier
www.avocetnatureservices.com