[Ontbirds] Acadian Flycatcher, etc.

dave milsom milsomdave at hotmail.com
Thu Jun 24 19:57:22 EDT 2010

7 of us had excellent views of the Acadian Flycatcher today at Happy Valley about 6 mins. into the area behind the sign advertising the park. It sang many times from a round clearing of trees off the trail to the left. This was close to the adjacent stream.
We also saw a juvenile Wood Thrush near the stream, Winter Wren, and heard several Ovenbirds, Scarlet Tanagers, Black-throated Green warblers and Rose-breasted Grosbeaks.

We could not locate a Hooded Warbler.
After last night's heavy rains, we saw at least 20 Red Efts (Eastern Newts) along the trail.
Nearby were Eastern Bluebirds, Belted Kingfisher, Northern Waterthrush, American Redstart, Virginia Rail and grassland birds along Concession 11 north of Cold Creek.

Directions : From Highway 400, go west on King Rd. to Concession 7 north. At 16th Siderd. go east to road end.

Dave Milsom

For birding tours see www.florafaunafieldtours.com