[Ontbirds] Chuck-wills-widow in Carden Alvar

dannapotter at roadrunner.com dannapotter at roadrunner.com
Sat Jun 26 11:03:44 EDT 2010

Friday night some 30 birders were treated to great audios of the Chuck-will's-widow on the Carden Alvar.  The bird started calling at 8:58 p.m.  Several WHIP-POOR-WILLS were calling simultaneously.  Through the day, Betsy Potter, Eleanor Beagan, Jean Iron, Ron Pittaway, and I had most of the Carden specialties, including LOGGERHEAD SHRIKES with fledged young on Shrike rd, one km south of McNamee Rd. (east side of road) and on Rockview Rd. south of the dump road (east side of road).  A LEAST  BITTERN was seen over Sedge Wren marsh on Wylie Rd.,north of the small bridge.

Directions
>From Kirkfield take Kawartha Lakes Road 48 about 4.4 km east to Kawartha Lakes Road 35 also called Victoria Road. Turn left, north, for about 4.4 km to Doyle Road on right and go about 1km. If coming from south end of Wylie Road, take McNamee to the end at Kawarthe Lakes Road 35. Turn right south for .5 km to Doyle Road and turn left. Go about 1 km.
Carden Alvar Birding Guide on OFO web site:
www.ofo.ca/reportsandarticles/cardenalvar.php

Good birding!
Willie D'Anna
Wilson, NY