[Ontbirds] Great Gray Owl in Algonquin Park

Ron Tozer rtozer at vianet.ca
Tue Jul 20 17:36:32 EDT 2010

A Great Gray Owl was observed and photographed in the
Dizzy Lake area (near post 12) of Mizzy Lake Trail on
18 and 19 July. This may be the same individual that was
seen in that area on 13 June. A small population of this
boreal species is believed to breed regularly within
Algonquin Park.

The Dizzy Lake area is most easily accessed by going
backwards on the Mizzy Lake Trail from its beginning
at the junction of Arowhon Road and Highway 60 at
km 15.4. There is a map of the trail in the trail guide,
available at the trail entrance.

We would appreciate receiving your Algonquin Park
bird observations for our Visitor Centre records.

Ron Tozer
Algonquin Park Naturalist (retired)
Dwight, ON

Directions:
Algonquin Park is three hours north of Toronto, via
Highways 400, 11 and 60. Follow the signs, which start
in Toronto on Highway 400. From Ottawa, take Highway
17 to Renfrew, then follow Highway 60 to the park.
Kilometre markers along Highway 60 in the Park go from
the West Gate (km 0) to near the East Gate (km 56). Get
your park permit and the park tabloid (with a map of
birding locations mentioned here) at the gates.

The Visitor Centre at km 43 has details on recent natural
history sightings and park information. Birders should
ask at the front desk about the latest bird observations.
The Visitor Centre is now open daily from 9 am to 9 pm.