[Ontbirds] London, ON Shorebirds

Len M fdcoboy at hotmail.com
Thu Jul 22 12:06:18 EDT 2010

Salutations Ontbirders!!!

Locals and visitors to the London area might want to start to look out for migrating shorebirds in the area known as The Coves. The Coves are a series of small ponds/lakes created from meander bends of the Thames River that are now seperated from the river. There is suitable habitat for shorebirds on most of the ponds. This week I have observed Samipalmated Plover, Greater Yellowlegs, Lesser Yellowlegs, and Killdeer. Semipalmated Sandpiper, Least Sandpiper, and Spotted Sandpiper have also ben recorded here in the past.

Don't forget to look for Belted Kingfisher, Great Egret, Great Blue Heron, Geeen Heron, and Black Crowned Night Heron. There has even been one confirmed sighting of an American Bittern here.

Access to the coves is tricky, and a lot of it falls on private property, so birders are encouraged to use tact when in these areas.

There are several ways to view these ponds, so for directions please e-mail me privately, and I will instruct on how to access pond separately.

Yours in birding

Len Manning