[Ontbirds] Red-headed Woodpecker - Constance Bay, Ottawa

Peter Campbell pagcampbell at rogers.com
Mon Aug 2 15:56:48 EDT 2010

Hi Ontbirders,

Norma Mooney and I drove out to the old burn area near Constance Bay this
morning, 2 August, to look for the Red-headed Woodpecker. About 1020 AM we
observed a fledged juvenile Red-headed Woodpecker and an adult in the old
burn area. We were on the sand trail fifty to a hundred yards past the
intersecting trail that goes into the burn area, but in a spot that allowed
a relatively open view of the burn area, which is now getting quite filled
with new growth.

Happy birding,

Peter Campbell
Ottawa

Directions: From Ottawa take the Queensway (Hwy 417) west to exit 138 (March
Road). Follow March Road to the T-intersection (traffic lights) at Dunrobin
Road and turn right. Follow Dunrobin Road through Dunrobin and Woodlawn to
the Constance Bay Road (right turn). On the Constance Bay Road, take the
first left onto Allbirch Road and follow it to its end. Turn left at the
T-intersection and follow the road onto Bayview Road into Buckham's Bay.
Look for Ritchie Ave. on the right and take it to its end at the
intersection with Whistler Rd. Park and walk the sand trail from that
intersection a few hundred yards until the old burn area appears on the left
side of the trail.