[Ontbirds] Scissor-tailed Flycatcher @ Luther Marsh

Lev Frid lev.frid at gmail.com
Tue Aug 3 14:53:09 EDT 2010

Hi Birders,

I was lucky enough to have a day off today and I observed the Scissor-tailed
Flycatcher at about 11:00 AM.  Quite a looker! It appears to be a young bird
undergoing molt - it had a few missing primaries. This causes him to have a
somewhat labored flight. Better see him soon before a sharpie gets him! He
was sitting on the wires and was still there when I left.

Some photos of the bird are available here -
http://www.flickr.com/photos/levfrid/

Directions:

Luther Marsh/Lake is located north of Rd 109 approx. half way between
Arthur and Orangeville.  From Rd 109 go north on Sideroad 24-25. Turn
left (west) onto Concession 8-9. Turn right (north) where this
Concession ends at Sideroad 21-22 and turn left (west) on Concession
Rd. 11, which is past the Luther Marsh Conservation Area entrance. The
flycatcher was on the wires just past the houses, where there is a big
sign that says "Monticello" in a field on the south side of the road.

Good Birding!

Lev Frid
Algonquin Provincial Park, ON