[Ontbirds] Painted Bunting (female) - Sault Ste. Marie

Mark Cranford [Ontbirds] ontbirds_coord at rogers.com
Fri Aug 6 08:14:19 EDT 2010

Posting for Dave Brown - thebrowns at www.ezlink.ca

Hi All,

I had an interesting and somewhat unusual bird "encounter" this morning
(Aug 5th) at my inlaws house in Sault Ste. Marie (Ontario).

A bird collided with the window section on their front screen door and
dropped to their deck. It wasn't a species I immediately recognized. The
bird appeared slightly stunned after hitting the screen door but
thankfully,it seemed alert and remained sitting upright so we left it
alone. Within a few minutes it flew back up into the tree and then
minutes later flew off into the school grounds across the street.

We got a great look (and some photos) as the bird was sitting only 3
feet from the door.
The bird struck me right away as a bunting (see my notes below)...
- Bunting body shape
- Bunting size (5"-6") - I used the width of the deck boards for scale
- Overall bright green top sides with darker wings
- Bright yellow undersides from its throat to the undertail coverts
- Conspicuous yellow eye-ring
- No wingbars
- Faint green edging and small bit of white edging on wings
- Faint green edging on darkish tail feathers
- Conical bill shape - upper mandible dark...lower mandible light
- Grey legs

After a quick phone call to Ron Ridout (BSC) I sent along our photos and
he confirmed my thoughts that it was a Female PAINTED BUNTING. (Thanks
Ron for your input)

I'll try and get the photos posted as soon as I can.

Dave Brown
Mitchell ON

Directions:
Bird was last seen headed into the Manitou Park elementary school
grounds just off of Wiber St.

 >From downtown in the Soo heading east on Trans-Canada 17 ...turn left
onto Adeline Ave...then left onto Anna St. and right onto Wiber St.
School's on the left.

 >From Sudbury...headed west on Trans-Canada 17 into the Soo......turn
right onto Adeline Ave...then left onto Anna St. and right onto Wiber
St. School's on the left.

--

Mark Cranford
ONTBIRDS Coordinator