[Ontbirds] Jaegers Continued - Van Wagner's Beach, Hamilton

Holden Family holden.ontbirds at gmail.com
Sat Sep 11 22:04:26 EDT 2010

The Jaeger show continued throughout the afternoon at Van Wagner's
Beach in Hamilton. My Dad and I had the chance to view the show from
an unusual location (boat) - so we missed out on several birds seen
from shore. I heard the end of day totals were over 20 Parasitic
Jaegers, 5 Long-tailed Jaegers and 1-2 Sabine's Gulls. 2 Black Terns
and an adult Lesser Black-backed Gull were also noted (among other
birds).

High counts of Jaegers have been recorded throughout the great lakes
in recent weeks, which probably was the reason why this large number
of birds was recorded on a fairly light east wind! Good breeding
season?

A few "boat" photos of the Jaegers can be seen here:

http://www.peregrineprints.com/ind__WhatsNew.htm

Good Birding!

Brandon

Directions to Van Wagners Beach: Take the Centennial Parkway (Hwy.20) exit
from the QEW in east Hamilton and proceed north to the North Service Rd.,
turn left and continue west as it turns into Van Wagners Beach Road.
Continue to the parking lots at either Hutch's Restaurant or the Lakeland
Centre viewing tower and view the lake anywhere near here. Most watches
have recently taken place at the Lakeland Centre.