[Ontbirds] HSR: DRHW- Lake Erie Metropark (11 Oct 2010) 1759 Raptors

reports at hawkcount.org reports at hawkcount.org
Mon Oct 11 19:10:31 EDT 2010

DRHW- Lake Erie Metropark
Brownstown, Michigan, USA
Daily Raptor Counts: Oct 11, 2010

Black Vulture                0              0              0
Turkey Vulture            1596          69152          70523
Osprey                       0              4             56
Bald Eagle                   1             27            165
Northern Harrier             6             92            354
Sharp-shinned Hawk         111            947           5902
Cooper's Hawk               34            305            542
Northern Goshawk             1              3              5
Red-shouldered Hawk          2             77             82
Broad-winged Hawk            0            206          79569
Red-tailed Hawk              7            188            436
Rough-legged Hawk            0              0              0
Golden Eagle                 0              2              2
American Kestrel             1             87            660
Merlin                       0             15             39
Peregrine Falcon             0             10             30
Unknown Accipiter            0              0              0
Unknown Buteo                0              0              0
Unknown Falcon               0              0              0
Unknown Eagle                0              0              0
Unknown Raptor               0              0             17
Prairie Falcon               0              1              3
Swainson's Hawk              0              0              5

Total:                    1759          71116         158390

Observation start time: 08:00:00
Observation end   time: 16:00:00
Total observation time: 7.5 hours

Official Counter:        Rob Payne

Observers:        Patrick Mulawa, Rodney Laura

Visitors:
A handful of very observant hawk watchers came by. As always my dedicated
and skilled Spotters were there to lend a hand.

Weather:
Today we expected to have a light cold front come in from the northwest. It
was hoped that this would convince the birds to move onward. However our
warm week pushed the storm out of the area, though we did get a few drops,
Arizona style. The temperatures topped off at 71f, and winds where
consistent from the east. Haze was strong for the majority of the day,
Canada was nothing more than a silhouette.

Raptor Observations:
Turkey Vultures came in at 1,596 and only in three different hours. Leave
it to the Accipiters to keep it exciting, 111 Sharp-shinned Hawks, 33
Cooper's Hawks, and 1 juvie Northern Goshawk. My first recorded male
Northern Harrier of the season came in late in the day. Our only countable
Falcon was a single American Kestrel. We did see our local Merlin twice in
an hour.

Final tally is 1,759 of 9 species.

Non-raptor Observations:
Monarchs, Blue Jays, Swallows, and Blackbirds continue their push out of
the state in good numbers.

Predictions:
Tomorrow will be cooler by nearly 10 degrees Fahrenheit. It will also
continue to be sunny with a few light clouds. Hopefully the feeling of fall
will get the birds moving.
Report submitted by Greg Norwood (Greg_Norwood at fws.gov)
SMRR- Lake Erie Metropark information may be found at:
http://www.drhawkwatch.org