[Ontbirds] Ottawa: Black-backed Woodpecker and migrants

Bruce Di Labio bruce.dilabio at sympatico.ca
Tue Oct 12 13:39:24 EDT 2010

Hi Ontbirders
Spent the morning birding various areas on the east side of Ottawa. One of the highlights was a female Black-backed Woodpecker at the Mer Bleue. It was pecking away on a dying spruce tree at the end of the first bridge along the main trail. Over along Milton Road we observed 2 Sandhill Cranes feeding in a field and 1 light morph Rough-legged Hawk migrating south over Trim Road. On my way home there was a Northern Shrike near the corner of Carling Ave and Rifle Road.

Good Biridng, Bruce

Directions: Milton Rd.:From Ottawa take Hwy. 417 east to exit 96 . Go north for 2 km on Boundary Road to Russell Road (Regional 26). Turn right onto Russell and drive 3.5 km to Milton Road (Regional 31). Turn left on Milton Road and go about 2 km to the bridge and start looking as you head north.
Directions: Mer Bleue: From Ottawa take Highway 417 east to Anderson Rd. exit. Follow north to Ridge Rd. and turn right. Follow aproxiemately 2.5 km to a parking area.

Di Labio Birding Website
Courses and Field Trips
http://www.dilabiobirding.ca
http://www.brucedilabio.blogspot.com