[Ontbirds] HSR: DRHW- Lake Erie Metropark (13 Oct 2010) 1675 Raptors

reports at hawkcount.org reports at hawkcount.org
Wed Oct 13 23:10:46 EDT 2010

DRHW- Lake Erie Metropark
Brownstown, Michigan, USA
Daily Raptor Counts: Oct 13, 2010

Black Vulture                0              0              0
Turkey Vulture            1584          76575          77946
Osprey                       1              5             57
Bald Eagle                   2             34            172
Northern Harrier             5            108            370
Sharp-shinned Hawk          40           1041           5996
Cooper's Hawk               15            348            585
Northern Goshawk             0              3              5
Red-shouldered Hawk          3            111            116
Broad-winged Hawk            0            207          79570
Red-tailed Hawk             24            285            533
Rough-legged Hawk            0              0              0
Golden Eagle                 0              3              3
American Kestrel             1             91            664
Merlin                       0             15             39
Peregrine Falcon             0             12             32
Unknown Accipiter            0              0              0
Unknown Buteo                0              0              0
Unknown Falcon               0              0              0
Unknown Eagle                0              0              0
Unknown Raptor               0              0             17
Prairie Falcon               0              1              3
Swainson's Hawk              0              0              5

Total:                    1675          78839         166113

Observation start time: 08:00:00
Observation end   time: 15:00:00
Total observation time: 7 hours

Official Counter:        Rob Payne

Observers:        Jim Maki, Paul Cypher, Rodney Laura

Visitors:
Very few due to the expected afternoon rain. We did have our usual cast of
characters that are our spotters.

Weather:
Warm for the first part of the day, until the oncoming cold front arrived.
Cloudy for most of the day, increasing as the afternoon progressed. Winds
were moderate and consistent out of the south east. As the cold front
showed up the winds shifted more northerly despite the rain coming from the
northwest.

Raptor Observations:
Weather seemed to have scared the birds from migrating. Only 1,584 Turkey
Vultures were counted, streams were small but constant until the storm
arrived. 24 Red-tailed Hawks is our average number for this season, but way
down historically. A total of 1,675 birds were counted of 9 species.

Non-raptor Observations:
A Meadow Vole was observed today right in front of our picnic table. Funny
how hard it is for us to find a Vole when a hawk can do it from over 100
feet up.

Predictions:
The rain should have left the region by tomorrow morning. The clouds will
be light, but temps will still be cool. Perhaps this feeling of fall will
encourage the birds to migrate.
Report submitted by Greg Norwood (Greg_Norwood at fws.gov)
SMRR- Lake Erie Metropark information may be found at:
http://www.drhawkwatch.org