[Ontbirds] Dunrobin, On.-Breckenridge P.Q. CBC results January 2, 2011

Bruce Di Labio bruce.dilabio at sympatico.ca
Fri Jan 7 20:51:43 EST 2011

Hi Everyone
The 30th Dunrobin,On-Breckenridge, P.Q. Christmas Bird Count took place on January 2nd , 2011. Weather conditions varied from a very mild start at +6C while owling at 2:30a.m. to -2C in the late afternoon.  Throughout the day, it was mainly overcast with varying winds out of the SSW changing through the day to WSW before the compilation. There was a sprinkling of snow in early afternoon and little snow cover on the ground, which made for easy walking. I would like to thank the record 57 field observers for their great effort in the field. This year, a total of 57 species were recorded and a number of new record highs. Again, many thanks to everyone who participated on the 30th Annual Dunrobin-Breckinridge Christmas Bird Count.

The following highlights were recorded.

New Species: No new species and the overall total remains at 110 species.

Record Highs: Previous highs are shown in parentheses, followed by the year.
                      Mallard 116 (89,1993)
                      Great Blue Heron 2 (1 6yrs. last 2006)
                      Barred Owl 9 (4,1998)
                      Red-bellied Woodpecker 2 (1,1989)
                      European Starling 1374 (1196,2002)

Tied Record Highs: Previous record year in parentheses.
                            Northern Saw-whet Owl 2 (1988,1999)
                            Belted Kingfisher (1988,1998)
                            Brown Thrasher (2010)

Other species of interest:
                                    Northern Harrier 1 (4th record)
                                    Ring-billed Gull 1 (3rd record)
                                    Northern Hawk-Owl 1 (9th record)
                                    Northern Shrike 2
                                    Bohemian Waxwing 1018

 Finches:

             Pine Grosbeak (1)
             Purple finch (0)
             White-winged Crossbill (0)
             Red Crossbill (0)
             Common Redpoll (337)
             Hoary Redpoll (1)
             Pine Siskin (15)
             American Goldfinch (283)
             Evening Grosbeak (13)

I would like to thank my wife Laurie for preparing the wonderful post-count supper and to all participants who brought deserts, food and wine to celebrate the 30th anniversary!
Good Birding, Bruce

Di Labio Birding Website
Courses and Field Trips
http://www.dilabiobirding.ca