[Ontbirds] Ottawa-Gatineau area - Pine Grosbeaks

Christina Lewis hagenius at primus.ca
Sun Jan 9 16:15:16 EST 2011

Hello Ontbirds people,

Today (09 January), Bob Bracken, Bob Cermak, Mike Tate & I observed 8 Pine Grosbeaks along the Eardley-Masham Rd. south of Gatineau Park in Quebec. While we realize that this is not in Ontario, it is just across the Ottawa River from Constance Bay...and there have been so few reports of  Pine Grosbeaks this winter! The birds were very vocal and active in this tree, as well as in the conifers on the other side of the road, however they were quite flighty and were not present when we stopped by again ~ an hour later.

DIRECTIONS:

>From Aylmer, QC, take Hwy 148 west past Luskville to the Eardley-Masham Rd. which heads north into Gatineau Park. Turn right and proceed to the house with a conspicious crabapple tree with hanging feeders on the front lawn on your right. PLEASE DO NOT BLOCK TRAFFIC AND THERE IS NO NEED TO ENTER ANY LANEWAYS OR DISTURB PRIVATE PROPERTY....OR THE BIRDS.

Thanks,

Chris Lewis