[Ontbirds] Varied Thrush, Red-bellied Woodpecker at Bamburg, near Waterloo

kevin.shackleton at rogers.com kevin.shackleton at rogers.com
Sun Jan 16 17:17:43 EST 2011

Christine Shackleton and I drove out to see the Varied Thrush near Bamburg this afternoon.  Elmer Ewart was spreading seed near a Pacific Yew when we arrived.  He welcomed us and told me where to park the car to get a good view of the bird when it came in to feed at the base of the yew.  We only waited about 5 minutes for the bird to arrive at about 2:30 p.m.  While we were watching it, Christine noticed a Red-bellied Woodpecker coming to the suet feeder close to the house.

Directions: exit the 401 at Hwy 8 north, take Hwy 85 north, towards Waterloo about 12km. Exit Northfield Road, and go west. Following Northfield, turn right (north) onto Weber street. Take Weber St. about a km and turn left onto Benjamin Road. Take Benjamin all the way to Kressler Road (~5km). At Kressler, turn left and take this to the first road (about 2km), which is Weimar Line. Turn right onto Weimar and the house is the 3rd on the left #3218.

Elmer was a very gracious host and mentioned that there had been another Varied Thrush at Cold Creek last January.
Kevin Shackleton