[Ontbirds] Amherst Island - NHOW, Broad-winged Hawk (Jan. 21)

Patrick Blake pjblake22 at hotmail.com
Sat Jan 22 14:53:55 EST 2011

Yesterday myself and Ken Ball toured Amherst Island.  At the Millhaven docks during our departure we noticed an AMERICAN COOT walking on the ice right below the loading zone at the ferry.  The channel to the island is mostly frozen, consequently there was no activity.  The Owl Woods had the typical species; no sign of the boreal owl.

A NORTHERN HAWK OWL was observed along South Shore Road, across from house #4455, close to dusk.  There were also several RED-TAILED and ROUGH-LEGGED HAWKS that we observed throughout the day.  The real highlight was a BROAD-WINGED HAWK that we saw near the maintenance facility on Stella 40-Foot Road.  Unfortunately we did not observed and short-eared owls, despite a concerted effort.

Good birding!

Pat

DIRECTIONS: Amherst Island can be reached by taking exit 593 off of the 401, following Highway 7 south to Millhaven.  The ferry to Amherst is located 100m to the right of the intersection of Highway 7 and Bath Road.