[Ontbirds] DARK MORPH HAWK Haldimand County

Astrid Akkerman akkerman at vaxxine.com
Tue Jan 18 20:34:00 EST 2011

 Hello  Ontbirders

On Monday, Jan. 17 at 4:30 p.m., I saw a dark morph hawk sitting in a plowed field, 75 feet in from the road and halfway along the field. It blended in very well with the dirt and was difficult to spot at first. When the bird flew, it had bright white rear wing linings but I couldn't see the undertail but I also could not see any red in the tail and it had a dark eye. My guess is it's either a dark morph red tailed hawk or dark morph rough legged hawk.Can anyone help to identify the bird?
Directions; From the intersection of hwy 3 and Haldimand road 20 at Nelle's Corners, travel south on Haldimand road 20  8.6 km. to intersection of Koehler Rd and Haldimand Road 20, go through this intersection with a flashing red light, go past the red brick house on the left, and the field is just past here on left side. E-mail me if you can help to identify the bird................Jim Thomson.................