[Ontbirds] BLUEWATER BRIDGE PEREGRINES

Alf Rider arider at xcelco.on.ca
Thu Jan 20 14:26:24 EST 2011

Hello Birders.
                      The pair of PEREGRINE FALCONS that nest under the Bluewater bridge between Port Huron, Michigan and Sarnia, Ontario  are, as usual having exercise periods between hunting and surveying the St. Clair River and Lake Huron.
They can be observed from the car park under the bridge.
Although they nest on the American side of the north bridge where their 'Tea chest' nest box can just be seen, they are  very closely monitored by our American birding Friends.
The falcons frequently perch on the ladders close to the speed limit signs on the Canadian side.
Yesterday the male did a 'Fly-by' while a representative from the Sarnia Observer was watching and doing some research.
He flew out into the Lake Huron and examined the ice edges for prey before returning to the Bridge.
Hunting is good there because of the local Rock doves. Also there are dozens of ducks of many species.

One day a few weeks ago the female passed within 30ft. of me while chasing a Mallard along the 'sea wall' --but the duck at the last moment dived into the river and submerged.
I think that is how Peregrines bathe!  Chasing divers like Kingfishers and ducks they get splashed almost every time..

Good Birding.
Alf Rider.
Forest.
Ont.