[Ontbirds] OFO Fisherville Trip Feb. 5

dave milsom milsomdave at hotmail.com
Sat Feb 5 21:35:06 EST 2011

We began the day in high spirits as we joked about the terrible weather we had encountered on previous winter Fisherville trips. The sun shone and the temperature was almost balmy !
By day's end, we were happy to reach home as we crawled along the roads in heavy snow !
    The 40 participants on today's outing were rewarded with some excellent sightings. At Ruthven Park we saw 4 Red-bellied Woodpeckers, several Eastern Bluebirds ( more than 12 through the morning), one Pine Siskin, White-breasted Nuthatch, White-throated Sparrow and Sharp-shinned Hawk.
    At Roger Gifford's feeders on River Road, Cayuga, were 3 Tufted Titmouse, 6 Rusty Blackbirds, 2 Red-bellied Woodpeckers, a Red-breasted Nuthatch, Northern Mockingbird and a Robin.
    On a field south of Hagersville were 2 Lapland Longspurs, Horned Larks and Snow Buntings.
     Most of Lake Erie was frozen, including the water near Nanticoke Power Station, but we still recorded Common Goldeneye, Bufflehead, Black Duck and Mallard. Apart from missing Harrier, we had a great day for raptors: Coopers and Sharp-shinned hawks, several American Kestrels, a Merlin, both dark and light-morph Rough-legged hawks, Red-tailed Hawks, 8 Bald Eagles as well as 4 Northern Shrikes. Other highlights were Northern Flicker; 3 Song Sparrows; a female Belted Kingfisher and a Great Blue Heron at the warm-water outflow from Nanticoke; and a total of 7 Short-eared Owls at the Raptor Reserve near Fisherville.
Total number of species was 47.
Many thanks to John Schmefelske, Gord Cameron and Hart Brasche for their expertise and assistance today.

Dave Milsom
milsomdave at hotmail.com