[Ontbirds] Newmarket Area Birds

RON FLEMING flemingron at rogers.com
Sun Feb 20 17:09:32 EST 2011

On a relatively mild February afternoon signs of spring were definitely in the
air.  In the Holland Marsh vegetable fields west of Newmarket I had my first
Horned Larks of the year today (two birds doing their tinkly songs at the west
end of Emma Road) and, at the nearby Cawthra Mulock nature reserve, I had four
Brown Creepers within 50 metres of each other, calling (but not singing yet) on
the sunny southern edge of a coniferous stand.  Chickadees were singing their
spring greetings of "Hey Sweetie" and the local crows were capering like
dervishes in the sky.

After striking out in my efforts to find the Snowy Owl that has been hunting
west of Dufferin Street this month, I took one last stab at it late in the day.
Unfindable earlier, the bird was perched conspicuously atop the last building on
Emma Road (a long gray warehouse/garage on the north side) when I pulled up at
4:00 p.m.  There was also a Raven calling at this location (there have been two
visiting the Holland Marsh area since December).

Ron Fleming, Newmarket

Newmarket is about halfway between Toronto and Barrie.  The Holland Marsh fields
are just east of Hwy. 400 and north of Davis Drive/Hwy. 9.  Emma Road runs west
from Dufferin Street, about 3 or 4 kms north of Davis Drive.