[Ontbirds] Algonquin Feb 24th

Geoff - Birds avocet at rogers.com
Thu Feb 24 18:24:03 EST 2011

Peter Hogenbirk and I visited Algonquin today the 24th. Somewhat different results from Norm's trip yesterday. Since we left home very early this morning, we didn't know about the Spruce Grouse locale nearer the parking lot where Norm had the birds yesterday, so looked in vain for over 3 hours in other areas. We did find evidence of at least 8 Spruce Grouse further along the Spruce Bog boardwalk, nearer the other suet feeder, along Opeongo Road in the spruce bog and along the spruce bogs on Arrowhon Road, but never actually saw any birds.

We did see three Black-backed Woodpeckers along Opeongo Rd  - a male near the gate and a pair near the north end of the spruce bog past the creek where it crosses the road. We also had 3 White-winged Crossbills there and four Gray Jays. It was great to Ian Shanahan and Dan Strickland here monitoring the Gray Jays.

At Spruce Bog Trail we had 2 Boreal Chickadees, 2 Red Crossbills and 2 Gray Jays.

We had two more Gray Jays in the west end of Whitney near the river and two along Arrowhon Road.

Lots of Common Redpolls, one Evening Grosbeak, a few RB Nuthatches, one WB Nuthatch, lots of BC Chickadees, one Brown Creeper, many Blue Jays, Ravens, a Downy and 3 Hairies rounded out the day in the park.

Only mammal of note was a Red Fox mousing near the East Gate.

On the way home, we were fortunate enough to see Shirley's Donald's Orillia Pine Warbler on the way - gorgeous bird!

Directions per Ron Tozer:Algonquin Park is three hours north of Toronto, via Highways 400,11 and 60. Follow the signs, which start in Toronto on Highway 400.From Ottawa, take Highway 17 to Renfrew, then follow Highway 60 to the park. Kilometre markers along Highway 60 in the Park go from the West Gate (km 0) to near the East Gate (km 56). Get your park permit and the park tabloid (with a map of birding locations mentioned here) at the gates. The Visitor Centre at km 43 has recent bird sightings, feeders, and information. The centre and restaurant are open weekends from 10 am to 4 pm. During the week, birders may be able to enter the centre by the service entrance (far right as you face the building) to view the feeders. Contact staff for permission. Algonquin Park birding updates and information are available at:www.algonquinpark.on.ca

Geoff Carpentier
www.avocetnatureservices.com