[Ontbirds] Reminder: 2011 Grassland Bird Survey - Volunteers Needed!

Grassland Bird Survey gbs at wildlifepreservation.ca
Fri Feb 25 10:03:15 EST 2011

Volunteer surveyors are needed for our Grassland Bird Survey (GBS) beginning
in Spring, 2011. The GBS is a collaborative effort of Wildlife Preservation
Canada, Bird Studies Canada and the Canadian Wildlife Service to locate
Loggerhead Shrike (migrans subspecies) while at the same time collecting
information on other grassland bird species associated with shrike habitat.
The survey results will help to improve our understanding of bird species
composition in Ontario's remaining grasslands.

Grassland birds have demonstrated more significant and widespread population
declines than any other group of North American birds. Given its need for
large areas of suitable habitat, the Loggerhead Shrike serves as a flagship
species for grassland birds in general. The GBS will focus on grassland
habitats in the key breeding areas of the Loggerhead Shrike including the
Carden, Napanee and Smiths Falls limestone plains, the area around
Pembroke/Renfrew, Grey and Bruce Counties in the Bruce Peninsula, and
Manitoulin Island. Participants will be asked to complete a survey of a
suite of grassland bird species compiled based on North American migratory
bird population trends as well as results of the second Ontario Breeding
Bird Atlas. Surveyors will conduct 15-minute roadside surveys along assigned
'sites' from which high quality, grassland habitat is visible. Each
volunteer will be provided with a survey kit containing detailed survey
methodology, data forms and survey maps.

If you are interested in participating in this project and would like more
information, please contact the GBS Coordinator, Erica Lagios, at Wildlife
Preservation Canada, 519-836-9314 or 1-800-956-6608 (toll free), or by
email: gbs at wildlifepreservation.ca. Please confirm your participation prior
to March 18, 2011. We hope we can count on your support!

Erica Lagios

Grassland Bird Survey Coordinator

Wildlife Preservation Canada

RR#5 5420 Highway 6 North,