[Ontbirds] Hornemann's Hoary Redpoll - Opinicon Road - not seen in 5 days

Mark Conboy mconboy at lakeheadu.ca
Sun Feb 27 17:55:12 EST 2011

Due to the influx of visitors that continue to visit the Queen's
University Biological Station (off Opinicon Road in Eastern Ontario)
to see the female Hornemann's Hoary Redpoll I thought I should post to
say that no one has seen it for the past 5 days. If you're planning on
making a trip to search for it you may want to email me in advance for
an update on its absence/presence.

This bird was first found by myself and Philina English on Feb 9. It
was a near daily visitor at niger seed feeder until 5 days ago when it
vanished.

Southern Hoary Redpolls and both subspecies of Common Redpoll can
still be seen here.

Directions: Queen's University Biological Station (main operations
centre; emergency address 280) is located at the end of Queen's
University Road, 2 km west of Chaffey's Lock off the famous Opinicon
Road in Eastern Ontario. From Kingston: North on Division Street/Perth
Road/County Road 10 to just past Perth Road Village. Turn east (right)
on Opinicon Road. Drive about 18 km then turn south (right) on Queen's
University Road. The station is located at the end of the road. From
Ottawa: West on Highway 417 to Highway 7. At Carleton Place turn south
(left) on Highway 15. Follow Highway 15 for about 60 km through
Smith's Falls and all the way to Chaffey's Lock Road. Turn west
(right) and follow Chaffey's Lock Road through the village of
Chaffey's Lock. Turn south (left) 1.5 km past Chaffey's Lock onto
Queen's University Road. The station is located at the end of the
road.

Note: Visitors are welcome at Queen's Univsersity Biological Station
throughout the year. In order to avoid distrubing ongoing avain
research projects we ask that birders contact Mark Andrew Conboy by
email (mconboy at lakeheadu.ca) if they plan to visit the station and its
properties.

Mark

--
Mark Andrew Conboy
Operations & Research Assistant and Outreach Coordinator
email: 7mc19 at queensu.ca or mconboy at lakeheadu.ca
QUBS website: http://www.queensu.ca/qubs/index.html
QUBS blog: http://opinicon.wordpress.com/