[Ontbirds] Rondeau - Swainson's Hawk, Franklin's Gull

Steve LaForest s.m.laforest at gmail.com
Fri May 20 12:25:12 EDT 2011

Hello Ontbirders.

Shortly before 12:00 noon, birders at Rondeau saw a SWAINSON'S HAWK.
It was found by Jeff Skevington, Richard Skevington and Brian
Pfrimmer.  Photographs were taken by Jillian Ross.  A report, along
with photos, will be submitted to the OBRC.

The bird was first seen in a kettle of Broad-winged Hawks flying over
South Point Trail parking lot.  The Swainson's was seen again a short
time later, in the same vicinity.  It was flying north when last seen.

Yesterday evening, John Lamey saw a FRANKLIN'S GULL on the extreme
south beach of Rondeau.  The beach can be viewed from the dock in
Erieau.

We have had no reports this morning of the Western Tanager seen here yesterday.

Rondeau Provincial Park welcomes birders!  We have morning coffee and
snacks waiting for early birders.  Our Bird Hikes and Birders'
Breakfast start Thursday May 5 and go through to Victoria Day.  I will
lead a guided hike twice daily from Thursday May 5 to Monday May 23,
inclusive (fee $5), as follows:

Saturday, Sunday, Monday and Thursday at 7:30 am and 1:00 pm Tuesday
and Friday at 7:30 am and 7:00 pm; as well as Wednesday at 7:30 am.

All of the 7:30 am and 1:00 pm hikes listed above will meet at the
Visitor Centre.  The 7:00 pm hikes will meet at the entrance to the
Marsh Trail.  A second hike on Wednesday at 1:00 pm will meet at the
Blenheim Sewage Lagoons.

The Friends of Rondeau will provide a Birders' Breakfast/Lunch for a
small donation (coffee, tea, bagels, soups and treats) daily from 7:00
am to 2:00 pm at the Visitor Centre.  All proceeds will support the
birding, interpretation and conservation programs at Rondeau
Provincial Park.

Good Birding!
Steve

Steve LaForest