[Ontbirds] Carden Alvar - Cerulean Warblers, Sedge Wrens, BB Cuckoos, and more - May 20/11

Geoff - Birds avocet at rogers.com
Fri May 20 17:10:41 EDT 2011

Today, Terrie Smith and I did our second Grassland Survey at Carden. We started the day at dawn at the Sedge Wren Marsh on Wylie Road, and heard lots of Sora and Virginia Rails, but no Yellows. There were several singing Sedge Wrens, many Upland Sandpipers and one Alder Flycatcher. Also on Wylie Rd (later in the morning) we had several Grasshopper and Vesper Sparrows (but no Clay-coloured), one shrike (box 10), Scarlet Tanager, ravens, etc. We didn't see them but there were Golden-winged Warblers reported as well.

Elsewhere, we added a Sandhill Crane, Merlin, Black-billed Cuckoo, and two Cerulean Warblers (on private property and, at the request of the landowner, I can't reveal location of the latter).

Geoff Carpentier
www.avocetnatureservices.com