[Ontbirds] Rondeau - Western Tanager, etc.

Steve LaForest s.m.laforest at gmail.com
Sat May 21 12:07:50 EDT 2011

 Hello Ontbirders.
The WESTERN TANAGER male was seen again this morning at Rondeau.  It was
relocated on South Point Trail, past the last bench (where the sign reads
"trail washed out").  From that point, you can walk out onto the beach and
continue farther along.  The bird was sighted about 200m past the last
bench.  It was seen flying out over the lake, being harassed by 2 male
Red-winged Blackbirds.  We have had no further reports yet.

The warbler of the morning was a Prothonotary on Tulip Tree Trail near the
'Proth' sign, flying toward the middle of the pond.  Other highlights
included Blue-winged Warblers on Maintenance Loop; South Point Trail and
Tulip Tree Trail; Northern Parula on South Point Trail; Blackpoll on Bennett
Road, Maintenance Loop, Spicebush Trail and Tulip Tree Trail; Northern
Waterthrush on South Point Trail; Wilson's on Spicebush Trail; and Canada on
Tulip Tree Trail.

Other interesting songbirds included a Lincoln's Sparrow skulking on
Spicebush Trail and an Olive-sided Flycatcher ordering beers near Bennett
Road/Harrison Trail.  Scarlet Tanager was seen on Bennett Road, Maintenance
Loop and Tulip Tree Trail.

Yesterday evening on my Marsh Trail hike, we found Least Bittern, American
Bittern, Sandhill Crane, displaying American Woodcock and a pair of Common
Mergansers.

There have been no additional reports of the Swainson's Hawk seen yesterday.

I would like to thank all of the birders who have taken the time to report
their sightings to us, helping to make these Ontbirds reports as
comprehensive as possible!

Rondeau Provincial Park welcomes birders!  We have morning coffee and snacks
waiting for early birders.  Our Bird Hikes and Birders' Breakfast start
Thursday May 5 and go through to Victoria Day.  I will lead a guided hike
twice daily from Thursday May 5 to Monday May 23, inclusive (fee $5), as
follows:

Saturday, Sunday, Monday and Thursday at 7:30 am and 1:00 pm Tuesday and
Friday at 7:30 am and 7:00 pm; as well as Wednesday at 7:30 am.

All of the 7:30 am and 1:00 pm hikes listed above will meet at the Visitor
Centre.  The 7:00 pm hikes will meet at the entrance to the Marsh Trail.  A
second hike on Wednesday at 1:00 pm will meet at the Blenheim Sewage
Lagoons.

The Friends of Rondeau will provide a Birders' Breakfast/Lunch for a small
donation (coffee, tea, bagels, soups and treats) daily from 7:00 am to 2:00
pm at the Visitor Centre.  All proceeds will support the birding,
interpretation and conservation programs at Rondeau Provincial Park.

Good Birding!
Steve

Steve LaForest
Friends of Rondeau Bird Guide