[Ontbirds] Peregrine Falcon, Stouffville, Fri afternoon

Barry K. MacKay mimus at sympatico.ca
Fri May 27 19:25:32 EDT 2011

Driving north of 18th Avenue, on the townline between Markham/Stouffville
(York) and Durham, as I approached about four or five kilometers south of
Stouffville I saw a large falcon flying ahead of me, not too high above the
road.  Suddenly a Red-winged Blackbird came out of nowhere to plunge at the
falcon, and the falcon half rolled, showing his or her talons.   The
blackbird did not persist.   This was about 4:45 p.m., the sky was dark, and
the falcon was in silhouette, but low, and with the blackbird for comparison
there's no doubt it was Peregrine size, although one can't rule out less
likely large Falco spp (escapees).   I mention it because about a week ago I
saw another Peregrine flying from south to north over the main street of
Stouffvile, east of Highway 48, west of 9th Line.  I passed under the falcon
and traffic was too heavy to allow me to get another look.

Barry

Barry Kent MacKay

Markham, Ontario, Canada