[Ontbirds] Purple sandpiper at Alfred sewage lagoons

Mike Burrell mike.burrell.on at gmail.com
Sat May 28 08:41:15 EDT 2011

At 8:15 this morning I had a great looking purple sandpiper with hundreds of other shorebirds at Alfred sewage lagoons in the eastern cell.  Other highlights were 1 Red knot, 15 whimbrel, 7 red-necked phalaropes, 1 white-rumped sandpiper and a single sanderling.  Absolutely great spring shorebirding!  The birds can be easily viewed from the tower.  The purple sandpiper was near the orange back-hoe.

Thanks for the heads up from Bruce dilabio!

Directions:
>From Alfred head east on hwy 17.  Turn south on peat moss road and the lagoons are 2km south on the east side of the road.

Good birding,
Mike Burrell