[Ontbirds] Hudsonian Godwit and Red Knot in Kingston

Mike Burrell mike.burrell.on at gmail.com
Sat May 28 14:38:38 EDT 2011

Hi birders,

My awesome shorebirding day has continued...after getting a chance to study an Arctic Tern at Britannia point in Ottawa (thanks very much to Mark Gawn for helping me out) I headed for Amherst Island.

On my way I spotted some Black-bellied Plovers in a field just west of Kingston.  I pulled over to have a second look, and was glad I did! I quickly noticed five Red Knots, 3 Whimbrel and many Ruddy Turnstones.  Another reddish shorebird caught my eye but was too far for my binoculars. Once I got my scope out I was surprised to see the long bicolored bill of a beautiful Hudsonian Godwit!

The shorebirds were all in a bare field on the east side of Lennox and Addington Road 6, immediately north of Amherst Drive.   You can reach this site by heading west out of kingston on Taylor-kidd Blvd and turning south on road 6 or on Bath road and turning north.  The shorebirds were there still at 2:20 when I left to catch the ferry.  There just happened to be a Grasshopper Sparrow singing in the field to the west of road 6.

Good birding,
Mike Burrell
mike.burrell.on at gmail.com