[Ontbirds] Ottawa - Caspian Tern - July 14

McBride,Bev [NCR] Bev.McBride at ec.gc.ca
Thu Jul 14 09:51:57 EDT 2011

Hi Ontbirders,

This morning at 9:00 am I watched a Caspian Tern fly from west to east
on the Ottawa River between Bate Island and the Quebec shore. I was on
the upstream side of the island which is divided by the Champlain Bridge
and facing Quebec. The bird was flying slowly and circling a bit so
perhaps it is still in the area. The species is unusual in Ottawa.

I apologize for the late posting as I can't reach the email address from
which I normally subscribe to Ontbirds.

To reach Bate Island from the Ontario side follow Island Park Drive
north onto the Champlain Bridge. Part way over the bridge look for an
exit on your right to the island. You can reach Island Park Drive from
the 417 where there is an exit for westbound traffic only and from the
Ottawa River Parkway from either direction.

Good birding to all ...

Bev McBride
Ottawa