[Ontbirds] Northern Gannet released at Lakeland Centre

Cheryl Edgecombe cheryle29 at cogeco.ca
Wed Oct 26 16:07:21 EDT 2011

This afternoon about 2:30 I received a call from Rob Waldhuber who said he
was called over at work to investigate a loon that landed in an industrial
area of his work at Head Street in Dundas.  Lo and behold, the bird turned
out to be an immature Northern Gannet.  The bird was fine and was brought by
Rob down to the Lakeland Centre at VanWagner's Beach in Hamilton where it
was released.  It just needed the water to take off.  The bird took a couple
of short flights and sat on the water a couple of times but appears to be in
good condition.  I had to leave so I don't have its exact whereabouts not.
It is likely not too far from here.  The bird was being harassed by gulls as
it flew.  Absolutely stunning bird.

Directions to Van Wagners Beach: Take the Centennial Parkway (Hwy.20) exit
from the QEW in east Hamilton and proceed north to the North Service Rd.,
turn left and continue west as it turns into Van Wagners Beach Road.

Continue to the parking lots at either Hutch's Restaurant or the Lakeland
Centre viewing tower and view the lake anywhere near here.

Cheers,

Cheryl