[Ontbirds] HSR: DRHW- Lake Erie Metropark (03 Nov 2011) 483 Raptors

reports at hawkcount.org reports at hawkcount.org
Thu Nov 3 18:11:11 EDT 2011

DRHW- Lake Erie Metropark
Brownstown, Michigan, USA
Daily Raptor Counts: Nov 03, 2011

Black Vulture                0              0              0
Turkey Vulture             294            605          52039
Osprey                       0              0             85
Bald Eagle                   0              1            181
Northern Harrier             2              7            231
Sharp-shinned Hawk           5             48           5282
Cooper's Hawk                4             27            679
Northern Goshawk             0              2             12
Red-shouldered Hawk         39             88            292
Broad-winged Hawk            0              0         195858
Swainson's Hawk              0              0              5
Red-tailed Hawk            135            542           2378
Rough-legged Hawk            0              1              9
Golden Eagle                 1             18            113
American Kestrel             0              2            664
Merlin                       1              1             21
Peregrine Falcon             0              0             18
Unknown Accipiter            0              3             59
Unknown Buteo                0             14             55
Unknown Falcon               1              2              5
Unknown Eagle                0              0              2
Unknown Raptor               1             11             35

Total:                     483           1372         258023

Observation start time: 08:00:00
Observation end   time: 15:15:00
Total observation time: 7.25 hours

Official Counter:        Jonathan Stein

Observers:        Jim Lynch, Raburn Howland, Rodney Laura

Visitors:
Zippo.

Weather:
Cold, overcast and windy about sums it up. The wind, strong throughout, was
out of the north and northeast.

Raptor Observations:
A pretty enjoyable day despite the overcast conditions. Buteos and vultures
were clearly interested in moving and took advantage of the north winds. We
added another golden eagle, bringing our season total to a very respectable
113 so far.

Non-raptor Observations:
>From 1045 am until approximately 1130 am, what can best be described as a
never ending stream of american crows poured forth from the sky. A
conservative estimate would have to start with more than half a million
during just that 45-minute span. Really, an incredible sight. And that
wasn't the end of the migration, either. The afternoon featured several
more large flocks of crows moving through, adding at least another 50,000
to the day's total. Other highlights besides the crows were a great
black-backed gull seen floating alongside a raft of american coots out in
the channel and a muskrat swimming around near the watch site in the
afternoon.

Predictions:
Mostly sunny. Light winds out of the north. Can't get much better than
that. Prediction: we're going to be busy, very, very busy.
Report submitted by Jonathan Stein (jonathanjstein at gmail.com)
SMRR- Lake Erie Metropark information may be found at:
http://www.drhawkwatch.org

Site Description:
The primary site used by the Detroit River Hawk Watch (a joint venture of
the Detroit River International Wildlife Refuge and it's Friends group, the
International Wildlife Refuge Alliance) is the Boat Launch at Lake Erie
Metropark located approximately 20 miles south of Detroit, Michigan. A
secondary site, the Headquarters of Pointe Mouillee State Game Area is used
during certain wind conditions. When staffing is available, both sites can
be used at the same time. The season begins on the first day of September
and concludes on the final day of November. For details and directions, log
on to www.drhawkwatch.org

Directions to site:
Lake Erie Metropark:

>From I-75, exit at Huron River Drive (exit 27). Continue east on Huron
River Drive. Turn left on West Jefferson and proceed a few hundred yards to
the entrance of Lake Erie Metropark. After paying the entrance fee, follow
the signs to the Boat Launch.